Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017

When people ask how everything's going, I usually say "My life is great, but the world is coming to an end." I have the usual complaints: ten prescriptions, twenty extra pounds, not as cute as I used to be, and a life expectancy of... better not go there.

But I have a solid marriage to a handsome and smart man who puts up with me, we own a house that will be paid for when I'm ninety-five, we own two cars and a cat who loves us. The cars are six and seventeen years old, but we have them. We traveled together to Canada this summer, visiting Montréal, Québec and Ottawa. We were able to attend a wedding of the son of Joe's best friend from high school in New York, and a few days later, we flew to Memphis to spend Thanksgiving with Joe's aunt and uncle, his sister and brother and lots of cousins. We didn't have political tensions with the relatives because we are all on the same page. I only embarrassed Joe's Aunt Natalie by pointing out that Joe and I are married when she called us "my nephews." We spent time with my sister, both here and at her home in Greenbelt, Maryland, and on one visit with her, I attended my high school class's fiftieth reunion. It was there that I saw commonalities with people whose lives and views are different from mine, but with whom I shared life in a different century, a different world.

As to the world, there is climate change, there is the current President of the Confederacy, I mean, the United States. It's easy to get confused that way.

In 2016, I ran for a seat in the West Virginia Legislature. I came in eighth of eight candidates in the Democratic primary. The first five candidates made it to the general election. This year, some political people asked me about running for City Council. I found that I had more friends than I knew in the city, and not just the people who helped with the campaign. The election was at the end of April, and we were installed in early July. I have become friends with all the other Councilors, and although we disagree about some specific things, we are generally in agreement about broad goals for Morgantown. We signed on to the Paris Climate Accords, and voted for a Human Rights Ordnance that includes sexual orientation and gender identity.

I was able to continue my goal of visiting one county per month, within three hundred miles of Morgantown in any state. The cities I visited were Lynchburg, Virginia, Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, Denton, Maryland, Bowling Green, Virginia, Westminster, Maryland, Carrollton, Ohio, Galax, Virginia, Grayson, Kentucky, Olean, New York, State College, Pennsylvania and Urbana, Ohio. Although I was worried about visiting places that voted heavily Republican in 2016, I never had any problems. Part of that is that I traveled to these places alone, I'm older, I can pass for white, and can adjust my speech to a local accent. I do understand what "privilege" means.

Joe and I have both been teaching at OLLI, Osher Life-Long Learning, affiliated with WVU's School of Public Health. Joe's Bible classes are well-attended by an enthusiastic mix of seniors, as are my classes, which this year have covered pop music in 1962, 1963 and 1964. Last winter, I taught a four-week session called "Bruce Springsteen is 67." I've learned lots from my research, and my students, most of whom graduated high school in the 1960s, love going back in time.

Our life here is good. We can live comfortably on our income, Joe is healthy, I'm stable, and we are recognized in town, and respected by our constituencies, if not by everyone in Monongalia County.

Our challenge is to keep going. It's no secret that our Jewish community in Morgantown is aging, as are we, and our cars. The United States government has made itself the enemy of liberals generally, and of gay people in particular, and we must be vigilant and hopeful for the future. I make it a point to attend demonstrations about healthcare, about immigrant rights, including pro-Dreamer and anti-immigrant ban events. I spoke in Charleston last month against the EPA's proposal to scrap the
Clean Power Plan.

My usual resolutions are to lose twenty pounds, and to clean up and organize the house. I have lost a few pounds this year, very few, and I'm working on organizing paper at home. In light of the scandals this year around sexual harassment, I have promised to stop ogling HYMs (Handsome Young Men). I've been harmless for quite some time, but that doesn't stop me from checking out someone attractive from head-to-toe, or even flirting. I'm cutting that out. I can see that it is unwelcome, disrespectful to my husband, and makes me look foolish. If I can find a way, I will tell my age 70ish straight male friends to cut it out with young women as well.

I remain optimistic, at least for the short term. I might feel differently if I were twenty-eight instead of sixty-eight. We all need to work together for change.

Here are some pics:

Monument Steps, Lynchburg, Virginia, January

A nighttime demonstration at WVU, January

Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, during "Winterfest," only it was 65 F., February

Speaking at a candidate forum, February

At "Everyone Is Welcome" day at West Virginia's State Capitol, with Joe and Alexandra Kadner, March

19th century schoolhouse, Denton, Maryland, March

At Morgantown High's production of "Hello, Dolly!" with our friend and cast member, Sarah, April

The new Morgantown City Council, with the City Clerk on the far left, May

Caroline County, Virginia Courthouse, Bowling Green, May This is where the Lovings were tried for having an interracial marriage


Main St., Westminster, Maryland, June

Asking  Senator Shelley Moore Capito not to "waffle" on healthcare, June

We saw Senator Bernie Sanders speak in Charleston, June

Joe and I with my sister Robin at Cheat Lake Park on July 4

Along the Blue Ridge Parkway in Carroll County, Virginia, July

Joe in Montréal, August

Québec City, August

Ottawa, August

Prayer Service at Coopers Rock Overlook with Rabbi Joe and members of Tree of Life

With our friends Jerryl Lynn and Amanda, visiting us from Eureka, California, September

Olean, New York, September

An enthusiastic crowd on our first reading of the Human Rights Commission Ordinance, which includes sexual orientation and gender identity, October

at Woodlawn High's 50th reunion, Columbia, MD, October, with friends, some from elementary school


                         
Elk Point Lighthouse, Cecil County, Maryland, October

High Street, Bellefonte, Centre County, PA, November

With Larry Siegel in Tappan, New York. We have been friends since January 1950, November

At a formal wedding, New City, New York, November

Joe, his brother Henry and sister Martha, Memphis, November

Round barn, Urbana, Ohio, December

Joe speaking at a demonstration for gun control in downtown Morgantown, December with Morgantown's Interfaith Association

No comments:

Post a Comment