Monday, March 30, 2020

Spring in Morgantown

We've had exceptionally warm weather here in Morgantown, setting a record high of 83 this past Saturday. I saw an article claiming that this was because of the "aerosol layer" being destroyed. I admit to ignorance of this, but I know everything here bloomed a month early, and while, as a former resident of Los Angeles, I appreciate warm dry weather, I know it's not right for North Central West Virginia in March. It's pretty, but ominous.

That's the macro. The micro is the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. We have had twenty-some cases in our county, most of them in one nursing home, a mile and a half from my house, and one wing of that home, among residents and staff. We can still go out for a walk or a run, buy groceries and gas. This week we picked up carry-out at two different restaurants, a treat given the bland stuff I usually cook, and the limited cooking skills of both of us. People at the grocery store tend to keep their distance, and with WVU closed, many people are gone altogether, but a few came up close to me to pick out fruit in the produce section Sunday. I should have said "back off," but I guess I'm too polite. The check-out person Sunday told me that the older workers were told to stay home, that if we brought our own bags, no store employee could touch them. I got home and wiped down the car door handles, shift knob and steering wheel with disinfectant, then washed my hands carefully. It's hard to say what is enough.

We. told our cleaning woman not to come last week, but paid her on PayPal, which she says everyone does. I usually leave a check for her, being a last-century kind of guy. I totally understand how privileged Joe and I are. Just today, I scrubbed the bathroom sink and cleaned the toilet. I know millions of people do this every day, but neither Joe nor I have done that in years.

I get lots of invites to dance routines, yoga practice, or stretching exercises online, as well as religious services and political talks. I've done one City Council meeting on Zoom, and we have another tomorrow. Some of us want to find a way to help people in Morgantown who have lost work or are threatened with eviction. Joe has done services, Torah study and a class online, and tonight he is speaking on a virtual panel to students at WVU. Other than those, neither of us has much interest in participating in online groups. Joe works nearly as much as he always has, and I spend more time on Facebook and Twitter, or looking up random things (music, cities) as my ADD directs me.

. For now, at least, things are stable here We went out and walked the trail along the Monongahela River north of town. lots of people were out as well Saturday, but the restroom was locked and the water fountain wrapped. Playgrounds in town are taped off, warning children and adults to stay away.

I read about New York (my spiritual home) and Miami, New Orleans and Los Angeles, all places I have lived, and my heart goes out to the people in those cities. I pray for the victims of the disease, the healthcare workers, the clerks in the grocery and drugstores and the post office, and the politicians, who I hope will show some wisdom. I hope the business people and the ultraconservatives I see online will have some compassion, and note that we are all in this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment