Thursday, October 22, 2015

Braxton County, West Virginia

Joe asked me what I wanted for my birthday this year, and I said "Come to Braxton County with me." I thought his face was going to fall on the floor. Still, he was game enough to agree to go. We went Monday, two days before my birthday. It was below freezing in the morning, sunny once the sun came up after 7:30, and 62 in the afternoon.

Mapquest says it is 91 miles from Morgantown to Sutton, the county seat of Braxton County. That's close enough that I don't have to stay over. It's a straight shot down I-79 from Morgantown.

I've been through Braxton County before, heading south. US 19 cuts off of I-79 south of Sutton. I-79 goes to Charleston; US 19 goes to Beckley and is the fastest way to most of the Carolinas and Florida from Pittsburgh or Buffalo. Flatwoods is an interchange on I-79. There are gas stations, fast food places, motels and an outlet mall with a Tommy Hilfiger store, an Amish bulk foods store, a Book Warehouse, with last year's best sellers at seventy percent off, and a  Chinese buffet, where we lunched. Joe liked it better than I did. He was happy there was any kind of ethnic food in the boonies.

My goal was to hit each of the ten places listed on The National Register of Historic Places. I try to see a park, a synagogue, a college or university, a shopping mall. I guess the outlet mall in Flatwoods counts for the mall. We visited Burnsville Lake, a Corps of Engineers project with a dam, campgrounds, a historic park (with three National Register sites), and a boat launch. There is no synagogue or college in the county.

As in many places, we could see the importance of the rivers which include the Elk and Kanawha, eighty miles upriver from Charleston. Railroads cross the county. I didn't see any active train stations. There were skirmishes in the Civil War, as the Confederates tried to break the Union's water, rail and road supply lines. There were many Confederate sympathizers in the area, and indeed, we saw houses and trucks with Confederate flags one hundred fifty years after the end of the Civil War.

We had warm, dry, sunny weather at the same latitude as Santa Rosa in California. I was glad to have Joe with me. We left home at 9:30 and were home by 5:00.
Burnsville Bridge, 1893, over the Little Kanawha River, Burnsville, not in use

Burnsville Lake, near Napier, maintained by The US Army Corps of Engineers

Union Civil War Fortifications, Bulltown Historic Park, near Napier

Cunningham House, Bulltown Historic Park




portion of Weston-Gauley Bridge Turnpike, Bulltown Historic Park

Braxton County Courthouse, Sutton

Old Sutton High School, 1924, not sure what they are doing to it

Elk River,  Sutton

Haymond House, Sutton, 1894

Sutton Historic District

Main Street, Sutton

Gassaway Depot, 1914, originally on the Coal and Coke Railroad, later acquired by the B&O. Vacant since 1988.




2 comments:

  1. A couple of things.

    That cannon behind you in the courthouse pic is actually Asian in origin. Word is, the original cannon there was scrapped during World War II in order to make munitions.

    The old Sutton High School is being converted into apartments.

    The advertisement on the side of the building in the picture of the Sutton Historic District was restored in the summer of 1982. I helped do some of the prep work as part of a summer youth program.

    And, 100 years ago, if you were standing there at the Depot, you would see a most impressive four-story hotel right down the street, behind the photographer's back, called the Valley Hotel, where many passengers coming through that depot would stay.

    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/7a/18/5f/7a185fac9660be229dd91e9054176c04.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for filling in the blanks for me. We were in Braxton for just a few hours and I didn't have all the information. We should go back and look again.

    ReplyDelete